Election Day 2013 in Virginia is approaching quickly. Are you ready to vote? Here is key voter information to help you cast your ballot by or on November 5th.
What elections are coming up in Virginia?
Statewide, Virginians will choose the next governor, lieutenant governor and attorney general. Members of the Virginia House of Delegates are also up for election.
When can I vote in person?
Polls are open November 5th from 6 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Where can I vote?
Visit the Virginia Election and Registration Information System (VERIS) website, or contact your county clerk’s office to find your voting location.
How can I register?
Virginia’s registration deadline was October 15th. You must register 22 days before a primary or general election, or 14 days before a special election. To check your registration status, visit www.vote.virginia.gov.
How can I vote early or by Absentee Ballot?
Virginia allows absentee voting by mail or in-person. Click here for the full guidelines for voting absentee in Virginia. Here’s the quick overview:
- Absentee ballot application forms can be obtained in person at your local election board office or online: http://www.sbe.virginia.gov/Files/Forms/VoterForms/VirginiaAbsenteeBallotApplication.pdf.
- The deadline for requesting an absentee ballot by mail is 5:00 PM (EST) on Tuesday, October 29, 2013. Applications must be received by your local general registrar by that deadline.
- Absentee ballots must be returned to the Election Board by no later than 7:00pm (when polls close) on Election Day.
- Virginia offers in-person absentee voting. Starting 45 days before the election and ending at 5:00 pm on November 2, 2013, you can apply for an absentee ballot in-person at the registrar’s office and vote in-person at the same time. Check with your local registrar’s office for hours and locations for in-person absentee voting. Click here to search for your local registrar.
What identification do I need to vote?
Virginia’s new photo identification requirement for voters will NOT BE IN EFFECT until July 1, 2014.
To vote on Election Day in 2013, an individual must present one of the following items at his or her polling place:
- Commonwealth of Virginia voter registration card
- Social security card
- Virginia driver’s license
- Military ID
- Concealed handgun permit
- Other ID issued by state or federal government agency
- Valid student ID card issued by any institution of higher education in Virginia
- Employee ID card with photo of the voter
- Copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, or paycheck
If you do not have any of the above forms of identification at the polls, you must still be permitted to cast a provisional ballot.
What if I have more questions?
Answer to additional questions are available at the Virginia State Board of Elections website: http://www.sbe.virginia.gov.