New resolution is first time in state history where environmental, labor, and justice groups have unified around a clean-energy commitment for top candidates
ANNAPOLIS, MD – On Thursday May 12 at 11 AM, CCAN Action Fund and its allies will share the names of over 100 candidates – including a majority of Democrats running for the Maryland General Assembly or statewide offices – who have pledged to support 100% clean electricity by 2035 with strong equity and labor provisions. Those candidates have joined a growing list of 70 environmental, labor, business, and justice groups in signing the Maryland Climate Justice Resolution.
Among the 100-plus candidates pledging their support for this historic resolution are eight leading gubernatorial candidates. The campaigns of Douglas Gansler, Ashwani Jain, John King, and Tom Perez will be represented at Thursday’s press conference in Annapolis.
The Maryland Climate Justice Resolution is sponsored by and was developed with input from CCAN Action Fund, the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 26, CASA, and the NAACP Maryland State Conference. The resolution offers a shared vision of 100% clean electricity by 2035 (without incentives for trash incineration), investments in underserved communities, and increased access to clean transportation and strong labor provisions for clean-energy projects.
- WHAT: At this press conference environmental, justice, and labor activists will reveal the 100-plus candidates and 70 organizations who have signed a commitment to 100% clean power. Gubernatorial campaign representatives will also speak out in support of the Maryland Climate Justice Resolution.
- WHEN: 11 AM on Thursday May 12, 2022
- WHERE: Lawyers Mall, Annapolis – and via livestream on CCAN Action Fund Facebook page.
- WHO: Speakers will include these gubernatorial candidates and/or representatives:
- Ashwani Jain – Ashwani Jain campaign
- Candace Hollingsworth – Douglas Gansler campaign
- Michelle Siri – John King campaign
- Shannon Sneed – Tom Perez campaign
Leaders from the resolution’s sponsor organizations will also be speaking:
- Staci Hartwell, NAACP Maryland State Conference
- Madison Green, CASA
- Don Slaiman, International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 26
- Mike Tidwell, CCAN Action Fund
In addition to the four gubernatorial candidates represented at this press conference, the Climate Justice Resolution has also been signed by four other candidates for governor of Maryland including Rushern Baker, Peter Franchot, Wes Moore, and Jerome Segal.
# # #
The CCAN Action Fund is the advocacy arm of the Chesapeake Climate Action Network, the oldest and largest grassroots organization dedicated exclusively to raising awareness about the impacts and solutions associated with global warming in the Chesapeake Bay region. For almost 20 years, CCAN has been at the center of the fight for clean energy and wise climate policy in Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, and Washington, D.C.